Annual Meeting 2010
From Wikimedia Philippines
2010 REGULAR MEETING OF WIKIMEDIA PHILIPPINES, INC.
- Date and Time
- May 15, 2010, 1:30 PM
- Bulwagang Manileño, Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, Gen. Luna cor. Muralla St., Intramuros, Manila 1002
Agenda of the Meeting
- Certification of Notice and Quorum
- Chapter Report
- Election of Officers
- Other Matters
- Roel Balingit
- Jojit Ballesteros, interim Vice President
- Paolo Barazon, interim Secretary
- Lee Bautista
- Butch Bustria, interim Treasurer
- Josh Lim, interim President
- Eugene Villar
- Not present
- Mike Gonzalez
- Remi de Leon
- Other participants
- Tony Ahn
- Bel Ballesteros
- Johnny Alegre
- Jocelyn Alegre
- Fabian Mangahas
- Jeremy Romero
- Proof of the presence of a quorum and call to order
- The President determined that with a majority of the members present (nine out of eleven registered members), there is sufficient quorum for the meeting. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
- Minutes of the May 1, 2010 Meeting
- The minutes of the previous members meeting held on May 1, 2010, were delivered by Jojit Ballesteros (VP), who was designated as the secretary for the said meeting. The minutes was ratified unanimously by all the members present.
- Other Unfinished Business
- Membership Fees
- The members present have agreed to set the membership fee for Wikimedia Philippines at ₱500 for regular members, and ₱200 for student members and members with financial needs. However, Jojit Ballesteros raised his reservations with setting the student rate at ₱200, to which Tony Ahn said that membership fees can then be paid by installment.
- Fabian Mangahas asked how much money the organization wants to raise. The president said that this will be determined at a later date because WMPH will need to comply first with certain government requirements in order to hold a fundraiser. Fabian asked if this means that targets might not be reached with a one-time fee of ₱200, as other payments will have to be provided on a voluntary basis; the President replied by citing examples from other chapters, where issues regarding membership fees payments are determined on a case-to-case basis. Roel Balingit suggested that WMPH comes up with a certain budget, from which the fees will be determined. The President noted that once WMPH's grant applications with the Wikimedia Foundation are approved, the grant money will provide start-up capital for the organization and can be incorporated into the budget; the amount stated in the grant proposal also covers reimbursements for costs incurred during the incorporation process.
- Roel Balingit said that concessions for members will be determined by the Board. Tony Ahn noted that the organization can't afford to turn away members just because they can't pay; it is important to keep members in. Bel Ballesteros asked what concession will be given by the board to student members; Tony said that this should be determined by the board of Trustees. The President affirmed this and said that the ramifications of this will be discussed by the board, after which the results will be relayed to the membership body.
- The members have agreed, with an 8–0 vote (with 1 abstention), to defer discussion of the proposed online donation system and calendar it to another item.
- The members have also agreed, with a 9–0 vote, to rename the budget item named “phone item” to “communications”. They have also voted (9–0) to reallocate the proposed US$ 500 funds earmarked for online paying system, to other needs of the organization.
- The following resolutions were passed:
- That WMPH membership fees will be determined independent of the organization's budget (9–0 in favor)
- That no prospective member will be turned away for lack of ability to pay (9–0 in favor)
- The following resolutions were passed:
- WMPH Launch
- Roel Balingit mentioned that a big launch for WMPH can be held at the University of Santo Tomas, which is observing its quadricentennial in 2010; however, no consensus was reached on whether this will be how WMPH will have its launch. Josh Lim suggested that WMPH can take its cue from WMHU (Wikimedia Hungary), which launched a series of seven (7) talks in lieu of a one-day launch event; he also said that Wikipedia Day 2011, which also happens to be the Wikipedia project's 10th anniversary, can also be considered as the grand launch date.
- Report of the President
- The President delivered his report to the WMPH membership body outlining the accomplishments made thus far. In the report, the President noted the progress made so far to advance the status of WMPH as an officially recognized chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation and as a legal organization. He also reported on the participation of WMPH in the Wikimedia Chapters' Conference held at Berlin, Germany, in April. He also expressed his hopes and vision for WMPH and exhorted all the members to participate and help realize the goals of the organization.
- Ratification of the Acts and Proceedings of the Board of Trustees
- The members have resolved that the ratification of the acts and proceedings of the Board of Trustees will be deferred and calendared to the second quarterly meeting. The motion was approved unanimously (9–0).
- Election of officers
- A recess was called for to enable the Board of Trustees to vote for the new set of officers for 2010–2011. The new set of officers are:
- President: James Joshua Lim (5-1, with one abstention)
- Vice: Joseph Ballesteros (4-2)
- Secretary: Allan Paolo Barazon (4-2)
- Treasurer: Jose Roel Balingit (6-0)
- The general meeting was called back from recess immediately after the board of trustees have ended their meeting, after which the results of the election were announced.
- Approval of new members
- Another recess was called to allow the Board to confirm and approve the other members who are not trustees. All members were approved and confirmed by a unanimous decision of the Board. The Board's decision was immediately announced after the general meeting resumed from its recess.
- Election of Auditor
- The meeting proceeded with the election of WMPH's auditor. Jocelyn Alegre and Jeremy Romero were nominated for the position. Voting was done by secret balloting. After voting, Mrs. Alegre won the election for auditor with 7 votes in her favor over 4 votes for Mr. Romero.
- Other Business
- Creation of other officers/positions and committees. An informal discussion and brainstorming session, led by Tony Ahn, was held in order to determine the other officer/positions and committees needed by WMPH. The aim of this session was solely to solicit ideas for these prospective committees and positions; it was agreed that these committees or positions will not be created, on this meeting, and any further discussion will proceed at a later date. The following ideas were put forward by the officers and members:
- Working Groups
- PR – which can be combined w/ recruiting/outreach
- Online Resource Management – which will be delegated to the secretary
- Finance/administration – to the treasurer
- Secretary – online resource management; admin/membership
- Treasurer – Fundraising; finance;
- Communications – PR, Outreach/recruitment
- It was agreed that any ad hoc committees to be created must have prior approval and authorization from the Board of Trustees. The scope of work for each committee can be delegated to other members, who will report to the officer in charge of it Grand Launch, Wikipedia Day and other items for the calendar of activities. As preparations for the Grand Launch and Wikipedia Day celebrations would need more time for discussion, the members agreed, through a unanimous vote, that discussion for these activities, as well as for the calendaring of WMPH's activities for the rest of the year, be moved to the next meeting.
- The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m. The tentative date for the next quarterly meeting (2nd Quarter of 2010) was set on June 19, 2010.
I hereby certify to the correctness of the foregoing.
(Sgd.) Allan Paolo C. Barazon
Secretary of Wikimedia Philippines
Approved on June 19, 2010.
- Prior to this election of officers, the current officers (Josh, Jojit, Pao and Butch) were holding office in an interim capacity. The election of officers on this meeting was only for the officers of the Board of Trustees in accordance with the WMPH bylaws; election for members of the Board of Trustees will be held after the interim period of 3 years (until 2013), the initial term fixed in the bylaws. Board members who will be elected in 2013 and in the succeeding elections will hold office for a term of two years.